Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gilman, Co and Mosquito Pass

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Gilman, Co and Mosquito Pass

Originally posted by Highgrade Gary

: Interested if anyone knows what the current status of Gilman Colorado is. It had a big for sale sign at the front entrance a few years ago, but last fall it was gone but the town was still closed off. Also interested in hearing from anyone who has driven over Mosquito Pass.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Gilman, Co and Mosquito Pass

Originally posted by rich

: Gary:
    : See my reply to Hank Gallo's query re Gilman. I have been over Mosquito Pass, although not recently. What info do you need?

: rich

Originally posted by Roy

: : Interested if anyone knows what the current status of Gilman Colorado is. It had a big for sale sign at the front entrance a few years ago, but last fall it was gone but the town was still closed off. Also interested in hearing from anyone who has driven over Mosquito Pass.

: I drove over Mosquito Pass this past Saturday, Aug 5. Email me off line

Originally posted by Roy

: : Interested if anyone knows what the current status of Gilman Colorado is. It had a big for sale sign at the front entrance a few years ago, but last fall it was gone but the town was still closed off. Also interested in hearing from anyone who has driven over Mosquito Pass.

: I drove over Mosquito Pass this past Saturday, Aug 5. Email me off line roybatzel@home.com

Been over Mosquito pass a couple times. Even chased an idiot part way up that was driving a volvo with three small kids. He made it about 1/2 mile going up the east side.
    Visit Colorado Ghost Towns at http://www.rockymountainprofiles.com

No Sales pitch just plenty of photos and stories.

"I led a quieter life before I got hearing aids." Mike

Rocky

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Wink "Bumpy Roads"

Quote Originally Posted by Flatiron
    Rocky..........I hear Mosquito Pass can be pretty bumpy. Was this guy driving a Volvo "Cross Country". They're quite the off-road vehicle, I hear............
    Thanks! Flatiron letting us know about the bumps!!! on our way to the ghost towns and posting about these obstacles on the bulletin board.

J & S
    Last edited by Johnnie; 08-12-2005 at 07:46 AM.

Trust me you can't get over it in a passenger car. I have seen 4x4s become discouraged and turn around. Last year I was behind ford pickup (4x4) from Texas. His truck was belching black smoke (running a little rich for the altitude) He stopped to let me by and then asked, “How much further?" I looked at my altimeter and said at least another 1500 feet straight up. He turned around.

Rocky

gilman is still as it has been. i was there this weekend. hiked down the railroad tressle to the mine and spent the night down in the canyon. Checked out the underground mill and all of the mill tunnels and such. The town is absoutly thrashed, even more so since i was there a few months ago. some kids are building a skate park thing in the gym. any thing else you want to know? i do know that viacom still owns the property too.

My family has visited your great state many times in the last few years, usually from June till August.
    This year, my wife & I are planning on a visit to the Breakenridge area to see the trees turn. I realize we'll have to travel a bit to see the Aspens, but that's no problem. I've tried to keep track of the rain you're getting, & I hope it won't be as dry as the last few years. We're planning on being in Breakenridge on September 16th. Could you advise me on how the fall color outlook is at this time? Thanks.
    Also, we're planning a one night camp-out on top of Mosquito Pass (been trail riding there for years with OHV's. Last June there was 10' of snow, & the wife & I couldn't go over the top). She's never been over this one. Living in Missouri, we don't get much trail time every year.

Thanks, in advance,
    David L. Collins
    5791 Wickershire Ln.
    Oakville, Mo 63129

: I drove over Mosquito Pass this past Saturday, Aug 5. Email me off line[/quote]

I was in Breckenridge this weekend. Still beautiful and fairly green. It is not even close to being dry like it was a couple years ago.

Aspen viewing should be just fine. That time of year Sept 16th. You may have snow on the pass.

Rocky

Thread Information