Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calico Ghost Town

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Calico Ghost Town

Originally posted by Jeremy Roush

: A recent trip to Calico produced some pictures you may be interested in.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Calico Ghost Town

Originally posted by Cecile

: Thanks for sharing the pics, Jeremey. Seasoned ghost towners often laugh at Calico ghost town compared to the abandoned places we are used to - but it does have a rich mining history:
    : http://explorehistoricalif.tripod.com/xplorhistcal/id53.html

: : A recent trip to Calico produced some pictures you may be interested in.

Originally posted by Laurie

: Here's an interesting question...Why are people soo concerned with the way Calico runs it's town? I don't think they run it wrong. Not every True Ghost Town has to be abondened and deserted.

: If you don't like how's it's ran then just don't go there.

Originally posted by Johnnie

:
    : I guess We all have great memories of Caico, I myself visited Calico for the first time with the my Dad and our boy scout troop in 1950 and we camp outside town in one of the canyons

: My Dad was the one of the boy scout leaders that planed this new experience for all of us Because as a geogoist he knew the aera well and spen6 a lot time exploring the old west for the National Geographic Magazine as photographer and geoogist.

: I remember camping, near a huge Bill Board Sign addvertsing "Old Dutch Cleanser" that showed the same picture that you see on the old dutch clesnser cans of today, way back in the Calico mountains, next to the dirt road that ran through the canyon I don't know even if that sign is still there???

: The next day I remember my dad and the other scout leader taking all of us on a long hike over a dirt trail to the town of Calico, and I remember going into the general store and seeing and buying "Rock Candy for the first time, and remember seeing a neat rock collection and artifscts from the bygone days, and later beening lead by a guide through the mine a very scary experience for us kids, and going down a rickey old ladder that lead to another level and then coming out onthe other side of town.

: I wish we knew how to post photographs like the rest of you ghosttowners but my wife and I just haven't learned how to do that yet, we have a lot of historical photos, and would love to share them, with rest of you.

: Thanks for the oppertunity to share my first ghost town experience to "Calico"

: Johnnie & Family

Originally posted by Ryan Hill

: Well, I would laugh at those who would laugh at calico. Calico appears to be a fasinating place, and if I could, I would visit it. Ghost Towns that have been restored or even comercialized have just as much to offer a ghost town enthusiast as an abandoned site. More often thatn not, I've found that you can learn allot more from these restored places, as they often present museums, tours, and an abundance of information.
    : So please, don't "laugh" at Calico. If you do, then laugh at Cody, South Pass City, Fort Laramie and Fort Bridger, Wyoming. How's about Fort Wilkins, Central and Fayette, Michigan, and even me while youre at it.

Originally posted by Cecile

: Calico has been restored as an amusement park.

: : Well, I would laugh at those who would laugh at calico. Calico appears to be a fasinating place, and if I could, I would visit it. Ghost Towns that have been restored or even comercialized have just as much to offer a ghost town enthusiast as an abandoned site. More often thatn not, I've found that you can learn allot more from these restored places, as they often present museums, tours, and an abundance of information.
    : : So please, don't "laugh" at Calico. If you do, then laugh at Cody, South Pass City, Fort Laramie and Fort Bridger, Wyoming. How's about Fort Wilkins, Central and Fayette, Michigan, and even me while youre at it.

Originally posted by laurie

: : Calico has been restored as an amusement park.

:
    : : : Well, I would laugh at those who would laugh at calico. Calico appears to be a fasinating place, and if I could, I would visit it. Ghost Towns that have been restored or even comercialized have just as much to offer a ghost town enthusiast as an abandoned site. More often thatn not, I've found that you can learn allot more from these restored places, as they often present museums, tours, and an abundance of information.
    : : : So please, don't "laugh" at Calico. If you do, then laugh at Cody, South Pass City, Fort Laramie and Fort Bridger, Wyoming. How's about Fort Wilkins, Central and Fayette, Michigan, and even me while youre at it.

:
    : :How can you say that's it's been restored as an amusement park? Just because it has a couple of attractions and you can ride a trian, doesn't mean that it's a complete amusement park! Amusement parks are like Disney land for cryin out loud!

Originally posted by laurie

: : : A recent trip to Calico produced some pictures you may be interested in.

: :
    : : I guess We all have great memories of Caico, I myself visited Calico for the first time with the my Dad and our boy scout troop in 1950 and we camp outside town in one of the canyons

: : My Dad was the one of the boy scout leaders that planed this new experience for all of us Because as a geogoist he knew the aera well and spen6 a lot time exploring the old west for the National Geographic Magazine as photographer and geoogist.

: : I remember camping, near a huge Bill Board Sign addvertsing "Old Dutch Cleanser" that showed the same picture that you see on the old dutch clesnser cans of today, way back in the Calico mountains, next to the dirt road that ran through the canyon I don't know even if that sign is still there???

: : The next day I remember my dad and the other scout leader taking all of us on a long hike over a dirt trail to the town of Calico, and I remember going into the general store and seeing and buying "Rock Candy for the first time, and remember seeing a neat rock collection and artifscts from the bygone days, and later beening lead by a guide through the mine a very scary experience for us kids, and going down a rickey old ladder that lead to another level and then coming out onthe other side of town.

: : I wish we knew how to post photographs like the rest of you ghosttowners but my wife and I just haven't learned how to do that yet, we have a lot of historical photos, and would love to share them, with rest of you.

: : Thanks for the oppertunity to share my first ghost town experience to "Calico"

: : Johnnie & Family

: Hi Johnnie,
    : I enjoy listening to your stories. They are truely amazing and I'm caught in the moment, I can totally see you back in the day at Calico doing all the things you've mentioned. Thanks for the stories, and if you ever feel up to sending any pictures from your Calico days I'd really love to see them, you can email them to me at CalicoCutie85@aol.com
    : Thanks,
    : Laurie

Originally posted by Ryan

: Give over...
    : At least it's been restored, can't we just be thankful for that? Heck, if it wasn't restored, who knows what we be left of Calico today? Obviously Laurie appreciates Calico for what it is, and I can relate with her, so lets leave it at that, k?

Originally posted by Laurie

: : Give over...
    : : At least it's been restored, can't we just be thankful for that? Heck, if it wasn't restored, who knows what we be left of Calico today? Obviously Laurie appreciates Calico for what it is, and I can relate with her, so lets leave it at that, k?

: Hi Ryan, Thank you very much for relating with me. It means a lot

Thread Information