Thread: Panamint City looted in 1992/1993?

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Panamint City looted in 1992/1993?

Originally posted by Joel Briggs

:
    : Does anyone recall hearing or reading about Panamint City being looted in 1992 or 1993? This would include the original logbook of about 60 pages 11"x18" paper size, old furniture, mirrors, two ore car, tombstones, bricks, and other mining artifacts?

:
    : Thanks,
    : Joel Briggs

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Panamint City looted in 1992/1993?

Originally posted by Johnnie

: :
    : : Does anyone recall hearing or reading about Panamint City being looted in 1992 or 1993? This would include the original logbook of about 60 pages 11"x18" paper size, old furniture, mirrors, two ore car, tombstones, bricks, and other mining artifacts?

: : Thanks,
    : : Joel Briggs
    : No! Joel we have not heard of such artifacts even being there to take. We were there in the late 1950s and early 1960s and have photos and 8mm film of Panamint, and don't have any recolection of much of anything left, But a big iron ore Wagon and an old building that was vacant as I remember, But we were very cautious "not" to snoop around to much, because of what Seldom Seen Slim, had told us when we camp in balarat the night before, That Pamimint Annie, might shoot out our radiator, if we got to close even though we did not see her, we felt she was watching us so we did not stay very long at the site of Panamint.

: So we headed back down Supprise Canyon and then over to our next ghost town of Harrisbuirg.

: Keep us inform, about any updates that you hear or read about by the way where did you get your news flash???

: Take Care
    : Johnnie, old west Historian

Default Re: Panamint City looted in 1992/1993?

Originally posted by Coach Bodie

: Anything is possible w/so many jackasses out there whom don't consider the consequences of their actions. We need more Panamint Annies!!!

: Johnnie is probably right though...I have a fellow co-worker who recalls the ability to drive up surprise canyon in the 1970's and she never spoke of such artifacts even being there!!!

Default A small correction, About the old resident of:" Panamint City "

: : :
    : : : Does anyone recall hearing or reading about Panamint City being looted in 1992 or 1993? This would include the original logbook of about 60 pages 11"x18" paper size, old furniture, mirrors, two ore car, tombstones, bricks, and other mining artifacts?

: : :
    : : : Thanks,
    : : : Joel Briggs

: A small correction should be made about the posting I made yesterday to the old time resident of Panamint when my friend Bob and I were there, Was not Panamint Annie, But "Shot Gun Mary" my friend Bob read my posting on the 21st and contacted me to inform me of my mistake I apologize.

:
    : : No! Joel we have not heard of such artifacts even being there to take. We were there in the late 1950s and early 1960s and have photos and 8mm film of Panamint, and don't have any recolection of much of anything left, But a big iron ore Wagon and an old building that was vacant as I remember, But we were very cautious "not" to snoop around to much, because of what Seldom Seen Slim, had told us when we camp in balarat the night before, That Panamint Annie, might shoot out our radiator, if we got to close even though we did not see her, we felt she was watching us so we did not stay very long at the site of Panamint.

: : So we headed back down Supprise Canyon and then over to our next ghost town of Harrisbuirg.

: : Keep us inform, about any updates that you hear or read about by the way where did you get your news flash???

: : Take Care
    : : Johnnie, old west Historian

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Question Shot Gun Annie or Shot Gun Mary?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com View Post

: : Does anyone recall hearing or reading about Panamint City being looted in 1992 or 1993? This would include the original logbook of about 60 pages 11"x18" paper size, old furniture, mirrors, two ore car, tombstones, bricks, and other mining artifacts?

: : Thanks,
    : : Joel Briggs
    : No! Joel we have not heard of such artifacts even being there to take. We were there in the late 1950s and early 1960s and have photos and 8mm film of Panamint, and don't have any recolection of much of anything left, But a big iron ore Wagon and an old building that was vacant as I remember, But we were very cautious "not" to snoop around to much, because of what Seldom Seen Slim, had told us when we camp in balarat the night before, That Pamimint Annie, might shoot out our radiator, if we got to close even though we did not see her, we felt she was watching us so we did not stay very long at the site of Panamint.

: So we headed back down Supprise Canyon and then over to our next ghost town of Harrisbuirg.

: Keep us inform, about any updates that you hear or read about by the way where did you get your news flash???

: Take Care
    : Johnnie, old west Historian

This in responce to Laura, post from 4 days ago about Shot Gun Mary, that was great web-site you turn us onto, and it gave us a lot detail about this lady that made her home in the Panamints. Thanks again Laura.

When we were in Ballrat in early 1960s Seldom Seen Slim, told us about a lady up at the top of the Panamints, that was very rough, and tough, and if you got to close to her gold mine she would shoot out your radiator, But we can't remember what name she went by then, it may have been "Shot Gun Mary.

But there was a lady named Panamint Annie, also that called the Panamints home. We have to check our archives to see if they were one of the same. We will post what information when we find out.

Johnnie Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 09-02-2006 at 08:31 AM.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Johnnie & Sheila,

Here are a couple more links referring to Shotgun Mary Thompson. Not much is said about her sister Orpha, she must have been the quiet one. It does sound like Shotgun Mary was the one who "threatened unsuspecting visitors."

You're correct, there sure was a Panamint Annie. Here are a couple of links with information about her as well.

annie

and

(I think you'll recognize the author of this one)

Last edited by LauraA; 09-02-2006 at 02:47 PM.

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Thumbs up Shot Gun Mary

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    Johnnie & Sheila,

Here are a couple more links referring to Shotgun Mary Thompson. Not much is said about her sister Orpha, she must have been the quiet one. It does sound like Shotgun Mary was the one who "threatened unsuspecting visitors."

You're correct, there sure was a Panamint Annie. Here are a couple of links with information about her as well.

and

(I think you'll recognize the author of this one)

Great web-site Laura, Thanks for taking time to help us out.

The photos sure bring back fond memories,thanks again.

Johnnnie Sheila

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    Great web-site Laura, Thanks for taking time to help us out.
    The photos sure bring back fond memories,thanks again.
    Johnnnie Sheila
    You're very welcome. It's fun to read about these interesting characters.

Thread Information