Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Panamit City"

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default "Panamit City"

Originally posted by Johnnie

: A panamint story wiill be posed soon.

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: "Panamint City"

: : A panamint story wiill be posed soon.

: For you ghost towners that have view my still shots and 8mm film of Ballarat, and the famouse old desert prospector "Seldon Seen Slim" and my several trips up supprise Canyon back in the late 1950s and early 1960s and what I call the oasis in the desert and that was the camp of Chris Wicht's nestled in some in some cotton woods, At the mouth of supprise canyon, And just to the right of the road to Panamint. Chris Wicht was a saloon keeper, in Ballarat,in the early days. Now when we were up there just a few shells of a few cabins remained, and a old mine just above the pond And a swimming pool that Chris Wicht's said he built for the local game, and for tourists that rented his cabins which he rented out for a dollar a day during the depression in the late 1920s and early 1930s. the stream that feed the pond also provided power for (9) electric lights for the camp.

: Beyond Chris Wichts camp is the road to the town of Panamint City with steep canyon walls on both side of the road with a stream that runs parallel with the dirt road.

: In this stream we got out our gold pans and Sluise boxes started panning and even got some color but did not spend whole lot of time gold panning because we were on a time schedual and we were only half way up the 11 mile trip to Panamint City, I already posted on the 21st our experience when we got to open valley at the top of this a very picturesque old mining town site.

: We did see the old slender brick chimmney of the Suprise Valley Mill that stands off to the side of the town site, and remember my dad telling me he had pick up few bricks. for keep sakes, back in the 1930s when he visited the same town site.

: Now one of younger friends "BOBBY" said the road is blocked now, by big boulders and when he hiked up the old dirt road last year it was even tough on him, and he is in his 20s.

: So you ghost town buffs that want to check it out i recommend in early summer, and make sure the weather is predictable, and tell someone where you are going and when to expect you back because it is very remote location "now" no fast way to get in or out.

: Thanks (G T) .com for giving us the oppertunity to share our early ghost town addventures.

: Johnnie & Family

Default Re: "Panamint City" and some of the it's history

: : : A panamint story wiill be posed soon.

: When my dad first told me about his experiences of exploring the old west and his trip to Panamint City, Some 20yrs early, I was about 11yrs old and I just couldn't wait to visit this very interesting old mining town. As I got older I started reading up on the history of this mining town and this is what i recall refering to notes of my dads from time to time.

: AS you ghosttowner most likely already know this remote mining town high in the Panamints mountains was founded by "Outlaws" hideing from the law, just like Butch Cassidy and his band outlaws had their "Hole in Wall" Panamints outlaws had their secluded Hide away that was very dangerous for anyone to follow any outlaws up this narrow canyon without being shot. So this made it a perfect place to hide from any lawmen.

: And this is what gave birth to Panamint City when one of the outlaws discovered a rich siver strike, and with help from some rich promoters it started a stanpede to the Panamints,

: Speculaters flocked to Panimint along with more outlaws like six gun experts Dave Neagle, Pat Ready, Earl Rogers, Bill Fallon, John Small, and John McDonald just name a few.

: But the stanpede also brought a population of gamblers and the prospectors and the even women took a chance, on this remote mining town in their search for riches.

: In this new town came Uncle Billy Wolsesberger known as Uncle Billy Be ****** who sold dry goods and then there was Jacob Cohn who sold blankets and guns and ammunition. and then there was a lady by the name of Delia Donoghue, who open a restaurant. A Charles King opened a meat market and John Schober, started a saw mill.

: Then came Martha Camp, and her girls and this is when the whole town celebrated for a week!

: When my dad visited panamint in the 1930 he saw old bitters bottles all over the place Stout Poter were most popular. The Bitters of 1874 were potent alcolic beverage and contained all sorts of drugs. and peddled by bitters salesmen who told customers that it would cure anything.In fact, a few bottles for example Cocoainized Pepsin Chinchona Bitters or Wilson's Wa Hoo Bitters could probably lift the Statue of Liberty off it base!!!

: Such were just some of the cases of beverages stack high in the Panamint stores and saloons.

: But one of the interesting fact about Panamint City is the United States Post Office Department refused to do business with this remote town, but as records show in the National Archives indicate that Panamint" Post Office was located (februry 21st. 1874) 105 miles S/W of Owens River, on Panamint Creek, 80miles east of Olancha.

: The first post master was William C. Smith (Sept. 16, 1874) and then Gustavus A. Swazey.

: This town high in Panamints came to halt when a "Flash Flood" in july of 1878, wash the town down "Surprise Canyon" much as did the flash flood that hit thee old mining town "Eldoadoville" here California.

: It was said that a few remaining undiresables took advantage of the oppertunity and looted the town bank safe, and rush down the mountain.

: So after hearing and reading some of the history of this remote mining town, In the historical Panamints Mountains i'am sure you ghosttowners that read my posting can understand why this ghost town sound so interesting to visit.

:

:
    : For you ghost towners that have view my still shots and 8mm film of Ballarat, and the famouse old desert prospector "Seldon Seen Slim" and my several trips up supprise Canyon back in the late 1950s and early 1960s and what I call the oasis in the desert and that was the camp of Chris Wicht's nestled in some in some cotton woods, At the mouth of supprise canyon, And just to the right of the road to Panamint. Chris Wicht was a saloon keeper, in Ballarat,in the early days. Now when we were up there just a few shells of a few cabins remained, and a old mine just above the pond And a swimming pool that Chris Wicht's said he built for the local game, and for tourists that rented his cabins which he rented out for a dollar a day during the depression in the late 1920s and early 1930s. the stream that feed the pond also provided power for (9) electric lights for the camp.

: : Beyond Chris Wichts camp is the road to the town of Panamint City with steep canyon walls on both side of the road with a stream that runs parallel with the dirt road.

: : In this stream we got out our gold pans and Sluise boxes started panning and even got some color but did not spend whole lot of time gold panning because we were on a time schedual and we were only half way up the 11 mile trip to Panamint City, I already posted on the 21st our experience when we got to open valley at the top of this a very picturesque old mining town site.

: : We did see the old slender brick chimmney of the Suprise Valley Mill that stands off to the side of the town site, and remember my dad telling me he had pick up few bricks. for keep sakes, back in the 1930s when he visited the same town site.

: : Now one of younger friends "BOBBY" said the road is blocked now, by big boulders and when he hiked up the old dirt road last year it was even tough on him, and he is in his 20s.

: : So you ghost town buffs that want to check it out i recommend in early summer, and make sure the weather is predictable, and tell someone where you are going and when to expect you back because it is very remote location "now" no fast way to get in or out.

: : Thanks (G T) .com for giving us the oppertunity to share our early ghost town addventures.

: : Johnnie & Family

Default Panamint Mining

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com

: : : A panamint story wiill be posed soon.

: When my dad first told me about his experiences of exploring the old west and his trip to Panamint City, Some 20yrs early, I was about 11yrs old and I just couldn't wait to visit this very interesting old mining town. As I got older I started reading up on the history of this mining town and this is what i recall refering to notes of my dads from time to time.

: AS you ghosttowner most likely already know this remote mining town high in the Panamints mountains was founded by "Outlaws" hideing from the law, just like Butch Cassidy and his band outlaws had their "Hole in Wall" Panamints outlaws had their secluded Hide away that was very dangerous for anyone to follow any outlaws up this narrow canyon without being shot. So this made it a perfect place to hide from any lawmen.

: And this is what gave birth to Panamint City when one of the outlaws discovered a rich siver strike, and with help from some rich promoters it started a stanpede to the Panamints,

: Speculaters flocked to Panimint along with more outlaws like six gun experts Dave Neagle, Pat Ready, Earl Rogers, Bill Fallon, John Small, and John McDonald just name a few.

: But the stanpede also brought a population of gamblers and the prospectors and the even women took a chance, on this remote mining town in their search for riches.

: In this new town came Uncle Billy Wolsesberger known as Uncle Billy Be ****** who sold dry goods and then there was Jacob Cohn who sold blankets and guns and ammunition. and then there was a lady by the name of Delia Donoghue, who open a restaurant. A Charles King opened a meat market and John Schober, started a saw mill.

: Then came Martha Camp, and her girls and this is when the whole town celebrated for a week!

: When my dad visited panamint in the 1930 he saw old bitters bottles all over the place Stout Poter were most popular. The Bitters of 1874 were potent alcolic beverage and contained all sorts of drugs. and peddled by bitters salesmen who told customers that it would cure anything.In fact, a few bottles for example Cocoainized Pepsin Chinchona Bitters or Wilson's Wa Hoo Bitters could probably lift the Statue of Liberty off it base!!!

: Such were just some of the cases of beverages stack high in the Panamint stores and saloons.

: But one of the interesting fact about Panamint City is the United States Post Office Department refused to do business with this remote town, but as records show in the National Archives indicate that Panamint" Post Office was located (februry 21st. 1874) 105 miles S/W of Owens River, on Panamint Creek, 80miles east of Olancha.

: The first post master was William C. Smith (Sept. 16, 1874) and then Gustavus A. Swazey.

: This town high in Panamints came to halt when a "Flash Flood" in july of 1878, wash the town down "Surprise Canyon" much as did the flash flood that hit thee old mining town "Eldoadoville" here California.

: It was said that a few remaining undiresables took advantage of the oppertunity and looted the town bank safe, and rush down the mountain.

: So after hearing and reading some of the history of this remote mining town, In the historical Panamints Mountains i'am sure you ghosttowners that read my posting can understand why this ghost town sound so interesting to visit.

:

:

: : Beyond Chris Wichts camp is the road to the town of Panamint City with steep canyon walls on both side of the road with a stream that runs parallel with the dirt road.

: : In this stream we got out our gold pans and Sluise boxes started panning and even got some color but did not spend whole lot of time gold panning because we were on a time schedual and we were only half way up the 11 mile trip to Panamint City, I already posted on the 21st our experience when we got to open valley at the top of this a very picturesque old mining town site.

: : We did see the old slender brick chimmney of the Suprise Valley Mill that stands off to the side of the town site, and remember my dad telling me he had pick up few bricks. for keep sakes, back in the 1930s when he visited the same town site.

: : Now one of younger friends "BOBBY" said the road is blocked now, by big boulders and when he hiked up the old dirt road last year it was even tough on him, and he is in his 20s.

: : So you ghost town buffs that want to check it out i recommend in early summer, and make sure the weather is predictable, and tell someone where you are going and when to expect you back because it is very remote location "now" no fast way to get in or out.

: : Thanks (G T) .com for giving us the oppertunity to share our early ghost town addventures.

: : Johnnie & Family
    Just as a trivia Note: Senator Stewart (d) NV was the main stock jobber for the project. When it failed due to high transportation costs, and lack of high grade ore, the the Mill and most of the equipment was sold to Robert Waterman and Bob Porter, who had a very profitable mine near Barstow, Ca. The Waterman mine had it's own town, No Saloons or fancy ladies, and the foundations can be seen just of Highway 58, N/o Barstow. Waterman later became Gov. of Calif.

Johnnie is offline Rawk Crawlin GPS Totin Ghost Towning Expert

Default "Panamint City"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lingren
    Just as a trivia Note: Senator Stewart (d) NV was the main stock jobber for the project. When it failed due to high transportation costs, and lack of high grade ore, the the Mill and most of the equipment was sold to Robert Waterman and Bob Porter, who had a very profitable mine near Barstow, Ca. The Waterman mine had it's own town, No Saloons or fancy ladies, and the foundations can be seen just of Highway 58, N/o Barstow. Waterman later became Gov. of Calif.
    Our Good friend Bobbie and his friends that lives here Westminster, California just in last year and half made a trip up Supprise Canyon on foot to see for themselves what Panamint City looks like now and he told me that it took about 6 hrs. to get to the top due to all the wash-outs and hudge bolders that block the historical old dirt road that we have heard and read about for many years.

When my friends and I made our first trip up Supprise
    Canyon in 1959 in my 1942 milatary jeep we made up to top without even putting my jeep in 4wd and in our trips in the early 1960 and 1963 we sailed up to the top in my friends 1963 Comet in 45 minutes and sure glad we got to see it before the road was wash away because i know i could not handle a 6 hr. hike like friend Bobie and friends had to endure.

There was not much up there when we were up there in the late 1950s and 1960s but when my relatives were there in the late 1920s they said that there was many buildings still intact. I wish that there was more photographs taking of Panamint, city in the 1870s so we could see what it look like in Panamints "Heydays" We have only seen a few photos Panamint, City over the years and they were in meseums.

And what is the latest status on Panamint City has the big mining intrest move in and took over mining operations as many old gold mines have, Since the price of gold and silver is high now, and what is the latest on Balarat, When we were there only "Seldem Seen Slim" was the only resident, What a treet that was to sit around a campfire drinking beer and listening to Slims "Tale Tales." But he did tell his stories in a way that made you want to hear more, and more true, or not and i remember him telling us how him "Shorty Hairris" use to pal around together in the early 1900s.

From the Dest of Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 06-23-2005 at 06:15 AM.

Cool "Suprise Canyon"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com

: A panamint story wiill be posed soon.
    Suprise Canyon, nesteled In the Panamints Mountains has had some interesting tales to tell, in it's dusty pass. The "twist and turns" and steep canyon walls. may be equality inportant to the pioneers and the outlaws in Panamint Valley, as was "The Hole In The Wall" to Utahs pioneers and outlaws. So we are going to pass some of it's history on to rest of you history buffs as soon as we get some time, what we think is the most interesting and scenic 11 plus miles of the Panamints Mountains, But is just west of the most harshest valley in the United States (Death Valley) but this area in the Panamints is not like (D V.) with it's scorching heat and the lack of water, the Panamints are aboundent green pine trees and cottonwood trees at it's entrance to "Supprise Canyon" and also has plenty of wild game and plenty of water. and lots of history hidden in its terrain.

Your Fellow Ghosttowners
    Johnnie & sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 06-26-2005 at 04:11 AM.

Thank you for the history lesson on Panimint City and Surprise Canyon.

I was lucky enuff to travel up surprise canyon in my 4wd rig right before the road was closed by the BLM. since then myself and several of my fellow 4wd club members have purchased land up there and have raised over 30k dollars to help get legal access back open to the public.

visiting the town and area was a life changing event for me and I love the place and enjoy learning everything about it.

camo

Cool "Panamint City"

Quote Originally Posted by camo
    Thank you for the history lesson on Panimint City and Surprise Canyon.

I was lucky enuff to travel up surprise canyon in my 4wd rig right before the road was closed by the BLM. since then myself and several of my fellow 4wd club members have purchased land up there and have raised over 30k dollars to help get legal access back open to the public.

visiting the town and area was a life changing event for me and I love the place and enjoy learning everything about it.

camo
    Hey! Camo thats great that you and your friends are helping the rest of us get access to this very historical site, keep us posted on your progress. And as far as posting more information and stories on Supprise Canyon and the Panamints, we hope to have time to post them soon, As soon as we find time. and some of these stories we heard from old propectors, from that area in the late 1950 and early 1960s but we will post some of our own experiences also.

Your felow Ghosttowners
    Johnnie & Sheila
    Last edited by Johnnie; 06-30-2005 at 08:17 AM.

Talking Photo request

Don't mean to claim jump the thread, but I'm looking for a photograph of Wyatt's Bakbar in his saloon in tonopah, NV
    Thanks in advance
    Jim Lingren
    Jlingren@earthlink.netl

Cool "Panamint City"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lingren
    Don't mean to claim jump the thread, but I'm looking for a photograph of Wyatt's Bakbar in his saloon in tonopah, NV
    Thanks in advance
    Jim Lingren
    Jlingren@earthlink.netl
    Hello! Fellow Ghosttowner We will Check around for your request we will post any info. on the bulletin board or e-mail you when we find anything.

Johnnie

Thread Information