Thread: Ranger Lake, Lea County, New Mexico

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Ranger Lake, Lea County, New Mexico

Originally posted by Darin

: Does anyone have directions to this post office, the lake its self, or the Ranger Lake Windmill. Went looking for it cause i have lived only a few miles from it all my life but never knew it was there and would like to visit it

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com View Post
    Originally posted by Darin

: Does anyone have directions to this post office, the lake its self, or the Ranger Lake Windmill. Went looking for it cause i have lived only a few miles from it all my life but never knew it was there and would like to visit it
    You might find my father's account of growing up at the family's homestead ranch a couple of miles from Ranger Lake to be of interest.

Click the following link
    http://pdrlnm.blogspot.com/2008/03/p...r-lake-nm.html
    to view his autobiographical account online. His story is from the perspective of having grown up at Ranger Lake, and is filled with first hand information that provides many specifics about life in that remote area in the early 1900's.

Anyone who might like to follow up on this is invited to correspond as they see fit. If you can add to my father's account with similar first hand information related to that time and place you are most welcomed to do so!

RioN
    Last edited by RioNovo; 04-05-2008 at 11:48 AM.

LauraA is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

What a treasure it is to have your father's account of his family life in the early 1900s! It's great reading, giving some good insight of what life was like back then. Particularly touching was his account of his grandfather's death,after moving to Miami,AZ and your father climbing the hill, seeing the deer and having his grief leave with the deer.
    Thanks so much for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    What a treasure it is to have your father's account of his family life in the early 1900s! It's great reading, giving some good insight of what life was like back then..
    Thanks Laura. I relate closely with my father and his early history in the Ranger Lake/Tatum area. Having grown up on ranches that dad went on to manage, first of all near Oxnard, inland in the mountains near the Pacific coast, then in Yuma County, then not far fromTolleson, and finally some miles south of Coolidge, Arizona, I feel blessed that he raised his children in much the same way he had been raised. My brother and sisters and I have benefited in many ways from the lessons he and my mother passed along through the years.

I'm glad you enjoyed the account my dad left us of his early years, and I hope others similarly benefit from reading it.

George Rasmussen
    Last edited by RioNovo; 04-05-2008 at 11:50 AM.

Ranger Lake, Lea County
    1908-20Lat(332254N) Long(33.38167)UTM(1031638W) (-103.27722)
    Ranger Lake – located 12 miles north of Tatum in the north central part of the county. Coordinates are for the Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraA View Post
    What a treasure it is to have your father's account of his family life in the early 1900s! ...Thanks so much for sharing it.
    Checked back in again Laura but couldn't remember how I had registered last time I was here so I jumped through all the hoops again and re-registered as Az4x4! Anyway, should anyone who's read my father's account of life at the family Ranger Lake homestead ranch be interested in following his story from where his early account left off as the Great Depression brought our country to its knees, the following link should do the trick: http://rltdsr.blogspot.com/2008/12/g...ion-years.html
    Last edited by Az4x4; 08-09-2009 at 06:50 AM.

Thread Information