Thread: Pages slow to load

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Pages slow to load

Originally posted by Rob

: This web site is getting better all the time, but lately I have noticed the pages are slow to load. Sometimes they don't load at all and other times they are painfully slow. Is anyone else noticing this? I don't have this problem with other sites.

: Rob

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: Pages slow to load

Originally posted by David A. Wright

: I'm hooking up at what seems a normal rate. I have a 56K modem and a 400MHz computer w/32MB RAM. I get varying speeds, but I've not yet encountered "painfully slow." I sometimes get to thinking my system is slow, but then someone comes over and marvels at "how fast" my system is. It's all in what you're used to and getting familiar with your system. I guess Ferrari owners eventually think they're cars are too slow and the rest of us Yugo owners think they're crazy!

Originally posted by Rob

:

: <<: I'm hooking up at what seems a normal rate. I have a 56K modem and a 400MHz computer w/32MB RAM. I get varying speeds, but I've not yet encountered "painfully slow." I sometimes get to thinking my system is slow, but then someone comes over and marvels at "how fast" my system is. It's all in what you're used to and getting familiar with your system. I guess Ferrari owners eventually think they're cars are too slow and the rest of us Yugo owners think they're crazy!>>

: I have a 56k modem also, and a 200 Mhz system...this site just seems to be loading slower lately.

: Rob

Originally posted by Todd

: A lot of it could be due to your ISP. Our servers are very reliable and put speed of serving the pages first, but your connnection to the internet may not be. ISP's connect you to the internet in sections and the traffic/routes from wherever your ISP is to where our server is may be what is having the problem. That would explain why one site might load slower than another. There have been no changes to the server on our end since May 98 except that we got so big we had to add another server in feb 99. This particular page , the bulletin board, does get slower and slower because every time someone posts a message this page gets bigger. That is why we cut the page in half and archived the first part. It is almost getting too big again so we will be archiving again very soon so the bulletin board doesnt take forever to load - Ghosttowns.com

Originally posted by Todd

: One thing we forgot to ad is the amount of traffic has greatly increased in the last 6 months. Ghosttowns.com is currently getting about 1.1 million impressions per month. The busiest times are from about 4-7 PST so if there is ever a slowdown due to traffic it would be between those hours - ghosttowns.com

Originally posted by Steve

: This is an interesting site! The problem with the slow loading is probably due to the use of background images for the board, and with ad banners at the top of the page. You have to balance the need to have a cool looking board against the functionality of the board. I use the same discussion board, without the background images, and it runs much faster.

Thread Information