Thread: ghost towns of western canada

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default ghost towns of western canada

Originally posted by dennis

: if anybody has anything on ghost towns of western canada please let me know where they are

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Re: ghost towns of western canada

Originally posted by Les

: : if anybody has anything on ghost towns of western canada please let me know where they are

: Dennis, I can't offer any on western Canada but do know of one on the north shore of Lake Superior called Jackfish. If you're interested, I have pictures from about 25 years ago and still remember directions how to get there.

: Jackfish was a coal-loading town for the railway but dried up when diesels became the locomotive of choice. It also relied a bit on some commercial fishing.

: The final blow to the town came when the local hotel burned down so the local drinking hole evaporated. Because the town was on a rail line and at that time no roads went into it, people didn't even take furniture when they left. Many of the homes we entered even had foodstuffs left in the cupboards.

Originally posted by Walt Jackson

: : : if anybody has anything on ghost towns of western canada please let me know where they are

: : Dennis, I can't offer any on western Canada but do know of one on the north shore of Lake Superior called Jackfish. If you're interested, I have pictures from about 25 years ago and still remember directions how to get there.

: : Jackfish was a coal-loading town for the railway but dried up when diesels became the locomotive of choice. It also relied a bit on some commercial fishing.

: : The final blow to the town came when the local hotel burned down so the local drinking hole evaporated. Because the town was on a rail line and at that time no roads went into it, people didn't even take furniture when they left. Many of the homes we entered even had foodstuffs left in the cupboards.

Originally posted by Walt Jackson

: : : if anybody has anything on ghost towns of western canada please let me know where they are

: : Dennis, I know of quite a few. In his book "Ghost Towns of The West" author Lambert Florin

: wrote about several of them in British Columbia providence and the Yukon Territory. Two of the

: ones to visit are Barkerville, British Columbia and Dawson City, Yukon Territory. As far as

: how to get to them, They are both listed on Canadian road maps and are accessable by paved

: roads. If you're looking for sites that are totally deserted, you'll need a good 4x4 to get to

: most of those sites. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Originally posted by Johnnie Bachusky

: : if anybody has anything on ghost towns of western canada please let me know where they are

: I'm very interested in doing stories and pics on western Canadian ghost towns. I have provided this web site with several sites (see Alberta). Where are you?

Originally posted by bal;mlkan

: : : : if anybody has anything on ghost towns of western canada please let me know where they are

: : : Dennis, I can't offer any on western Canada but do know of one on the north shore of Lake Superior called Jackfish. If you're interested, I have pictures from about 25 years ago and still remember directions how to get there.

: : : Jackfish was a coal-loading town for the railway but dried up when diesels became the locomotive of choice. It also relied a bit on some commercial fishing.

: : : The final blow to the town came when the local hotel burned down so the local drinking hole evaporated. Because the town was on a rail line and at that time no roads went into it, people didn't even take furniture when they left. Many of the homes we entered even had foodstuffs left in the cupboards.

Originally posted by a edgington

I went to Barkerville in 1968, and it was not fixed up alot at that time, it was a wonderful experience. I was in high school and this was our summer family vacation. It was a long drive off the beaten track, on a muddy, lumpy, dirt road, my father called it a "cow trail". The road is now paved, I can still hear my dad swearing though.

The thing I remember the most about the town was how it had elevated sidewalks. All the buildings sat well above the streets, because it was so awful and muddy all of the time, well when they built the town.

I'd really like to get back there one day.

http://www.barkerville.ca/newindex/index03.html

I know this thread is OLD, but... @Ghosttowns.com - check our facebook page www.facebook.com/HauntedBritishColumbia

Thread Information