Thread: Coolidge Montana is gone!!!!!!

Ghosttowns.com is offline Rock Crawlin GPS Moving Map Totin Trailblazing Expert Ghost Towner

Default Coolidge Montana is gone!!!!!!

Originally posted by Les

: I received a letter the other day from a friend in Polaris, Montana (also considered by many to be a GT). She indicated that the company which had owned the old mining town of Coolidge had sold the property and the buildings had been torn down last summer. As she said, it was an historical loss.

: I have some pictures that we took there 2 years ago which I will post here when I get a scanner.

Hi,
    I'm a Vintage Photographer from Gresham, Ore and I visited Coolidge, Montana this summer for photos. There are still a few standing buildings but most have collapsed. I heard that the State ordered that the mine be torn down for safety issues, so most of it is gone. However,some of the old overhead mining tracks are still there. I would also like to add that the building (maybe barn) is still in the river with rushing water surrounding it. (see Montana page ie: Coolidge on this website.
    Happy Ghost town hunting..

The mill was gone in 99 when I was there. Other than that it looked the same while visiting this summer 2004.

My gallery from that trip but no captions yet.

http://www.caver.smugmug.com/gallery/194404
    Brad

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosttowns.com
    Originally posted by Les

: I received a letter the other day from a friend in Polaris, Montana (also considered by many to be a GT). She indicated that the company which had owned the old mining town of Coolidge had sold the property and the buildings had been torn down last summer. As she said, it was an historical loss.

: I have some pictures that we took there 2 years ago which I will post here when I get a scanner.
    Hi,
    Isn't there not anything someone could do against the los of some History?

Default Coolidge GT is 'alive & well' sort of.

We ust got back from visiting Coolidge Ghost Town (June 30, 2010). It continues to survive in an unreclaimed or unrestored state. It is a short from the Mono Creek USFS Camp Ground and then a 1/2 mile hike to the beginning of the site and is managed by the USFS. Very worth while visit.

Satellite photos seem to show the mill still standing. The warnings about the demise of the mill (the main reason to take the trouble to get here) go back at least 30 years. When I visited back then (after a visit to the Historical Society in Helena to locate the obscure camp), there was a friendly young man staying in the best preserved cabin. He stated that he was part of a crew that was to demolish the mill, made unsafe due to theft of timbers by an entrepreneur building a restaurant. We explored the mill, which seemed sound enough to remain standing for quite a while. Then we climbed to the upper camp, which seemed to be untouched since operations ceased. Many core samples were intact in one of the buildings.

Get a copy of 'Wild West' magazine, Aug 2012 issue (due out in June, at your local magazine stand). Under the 'Ghost Towns' feature is a detailed history and current photos of Collidge.

Thread Information